Friday 5 March 2010




Ex-Wales and British & Irish Lions union captain Gareth Thomas is set to join Super League outfit Crusaders from Cardiff Blues.

The Wrexham-based club have called a press conference for 1300 GMT today when it expected they will confirm Thomas as rugby's latest code convert.

It is believed that the 35-year-old has agreed an 18-month deal.

"Do I think Gareth Thomas could play rugby league? Yes I do," said Crusaders coach Brian Noble last month.

Thomas captained Wales to their first Grand Slam in 27 years in 2005, then took over the Lions leadership in New Zealand during the same year after original skipper Brian O'Driscoll was injured in the opening Test.

Thomas has also played for Bridgend, the Celtic Warriors and spent three years in France with Toulouse, where he won the 2005 Heineken Cup.

He is contracted with the Blues until May but could now be unveiled to Crusaders fans at their next home game against Catalans Dragons on 19 March.

In an interview with Scrum V recorded on Tuesday, Thomas hinted he might be moving elsewhere.

"The future for me as a rugby player is bright. I have interesting options to say the least," he said.

"Yes, moving northwards is one of the options... I feel I am as fit as anybody. If I decided to do another sport, all I have got in my head is a lot of experience and you can't buy experience - I don't feel like a 35-year-old when I am playing."

He played alongside dual-code international Iestyn Harris, who is assistant coach at the Crusaders, for Wales.

Noble admitted that a player of Thomas's calibre could only be good for the Crusaders.

"I think a signing of his ilk will just rise our profile some more," he said.

"Am I fan of Gareth Thomas? Yes. I'm also a fan of several other Welsh rugby union players.

"There have been discussions with quite a few players is what I will tell you.

"I would say the same about Andy Powell at the back of the scrum. He is a big roll ball monster who could be fabulous in rugby league.

"But you have got to make it fit for all parties and you have got to make sure you don't do something for a gimmick. We are in a situation where everybody has to contribute to the team.


Former Wales captain Scott Quinnell, who switched to league at the age of 21 before moving back to union, is not expecting Thomas to find the switch easy."I'm a huge fan of some of their [rugby union's] athletes and some of their players and some of the things they have done."

"It's a very difficult move because he's been at the top of his game for so long in rugby union that to move across now you can only think it's for a fresh challenge for him," Quinnell told BBC Radio 5 live.

"At 35, it's a tough game, he will have to learn, he will have to take time to get used to playing rugby league because it's a totally different game.

"I couldn't imagine changing sports in my thirties, it's difficult to do when your are younger and have got time to learn."

The capture of Thomas is also a huge public relations coup for Crusaders with the high-profile Welshman an extremely popular figure, something Quinnell admitted could bring its own problems.

"My worry is that they will want to play him every game because they have only got a limited time with him," he added.

"I think it's fantastic for Welsh sport to see the likes of Gareth trying new things but it's a difficult sport.

"The whole of the rugby union world will be watching him, as will rugby league."

Noble acknowledged the benefits someone like Thomas could bring to Crusaders off the pitch, but he insisted the rugby would always come first.

"I'm an absolutely huge fan and I think there will be nothing better for the game of rugby league to attract some people of the right ilk, some people that can actually do something for the team as well as maybe put a few bums on seats," said Noble.

"We need to bring the right people in but I'm a huge believer in the fact that there are certain people out there who can play both codes.

"The reality of that is we are interested in people who first and foremost want to play rugby league. You have got to want to play this game because it is a tough game. They are quite different technically.

"I'm interested in anyone who wants to play rugby and [they are] within our budget."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors